Monday 29 August 2016


   LIFE AT NLU DELHI


Greetings to readers!

 I did fairly well in academics consistently over years, which is why my well wishers thought that I was cut out to be an engineer. I acquiesced, ignoring the myriad career options which I hesitated to explore. It was only when I was in XII standard that I realised that I had acumen for legal studies, a field which many of you readers love. I fell in love with this arena because of the simple reason that it involves exploration of the society you live in.

So here I am today, in a crème de la crème of institutions ...NATIONAL LAW UNIVERSITY DELHI. When I entered the campus for the first time, the greenery and serenity of the campus assured me that I was at the right place. The best part is Justice TPS Chawla Library, which is so well equipped and maintained that every legal practitioner in this city wants to have access to it. The library along with its online portal caters very well to all our research project needs. Every student has to do five research projects a semester, which allows us to gain detailed knowledge about a subject.

I met the vice chancellor Dr. Ranbir Singh the very first day and was left impressed by his amicable behaviour (because I had expected a man of such stature to be bossy). You will love the way our curriculum has been framed so that in the first semester the emphasis is on building your rationale rather than learning laws. We undoubtedly have excellent faculty here and every student finds  Mr. Anup Surendranath’s Legal Methods classes the best because he involves the entire class in discussions over relevant topics. 

The university organises seminars and workshops on a regular basis, which is, you all will agree, the best way to gain expertise in a field you have a vague idea of. Last week only, the university hosted a seminar organised by National Human Rights Commission; thereby we had an opportunity to listen to former CJI H L Dattu and other luminaries.

The first month here is vibrantly full of activities. The seniors here are very chill, always ready to help you (be it about projects or parties).Then there are so many student committees, Debating society, moot court committee ,quiz committee, sports committee, cinema club to name a few to give you an all round feeling of a college. There are others like Gender circle, Ambedkar Periyar Phule Study circle which involve students into a dialogue over issues that matter.

Since the university believes in the holistic development of its students, we have umpteen extracurricular activities like the sports fest and we have the talent fest coming up next. 

My batch has extremely talented and experienced sportspersons (not bragging though). This place offers numerous opportunities to imbibe the values to be a successful legal professional. You just need to strike the right balance and I guarantee that you won’t find this place burdensome ever.

I believe that five years in this place is a great investment. There’s nothing more you would ask for. This place has a great pool of talent and I know it will very soon be the best law school in India.

Best wishes.

ABOUT THE WRITER:




Shambhavi Singh, a first year B.A. L.L.B. (Hons.) student at NLU Delhi. She was born in Bihar and brought up in Madhya Pradesh. She did her  schooling from Carmel Convent School, Gwalior.  

No comments:

Post a Comment